The South African Indoor Hockey Men, the BlitzStoks, secured their place at the 2018 FIH Indoor Hockey World Cup when they won the African Qualifier in Swakopmund in June. Since the 2015 Indoor Hockey World Cup, where they finished 11th, the team has been steadily progressing and look poised to offer the best ever performance at a World Cup. However, the men have to raise funds to get themselves to the World Cup, almost R35 000 each and with an individual sponsor unavailable there is a very serious chance that some players may not be able to go. As such the lads have started a Thundafund campaign and they are asking for your help.
Here are reasons to back the lads on their Road to Berlin
1. The Lads will move into the Top 10 of the World Rankings and could move as high as sixth with a good performance at the World Cup. This will be the highest ranking by any South African hockey side (indoor or outdoor) ever!
2. If the Men go to the World Cup and finish in the Top 6, African Hockey will be afforded two spots at the 2021 FIH Indoor Hockey World Cup.
3. The best chance for the team is if the best players are selected. The 12 have been together for 3 years now and to mess up that rhythm by having to call up players who can afford it rather than those who deserve it.
4. Because like you and me they are all Proudly South African.
5. And nothing unites South Africa like sport. Think Olympics, Rugby World Cups, Soccer World Cups and more. Think Mzansi.
6. Because Nkosi Sikileli is now the best national anthem in the World, the World Cup needs to hear it!
7. They are great ambassadors for our country. Instead of taking to social media to complain about their plight, the men have put their heads down to try and raise funds.
8. Because you should not pay to represent your country…
If you are interested in trying to help the BlitzStoks get to Berlin, check out that Thundafund campaign. Every little cent helps!